Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Scripture Memory

I finally found something that works for scripture memory.  I am so excited!  I got the idea from this website: http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/

With a simple 3x5 card system, we have memorized several verses already.  And, the whole family is doing it.  I have tried different things for years, to no avail.  The plan always went by the wayside.

I have done a couple of things to the instructions on the website.  First of all, I added one more divider.  As I find verses that I want to memorize, I write them on a card and put them behind this divider.  One of the problems I had in the past with memory verses is that I would need a new one and I wouldn’t have one handy, so we just ended up not doing one.  Now, I have a stack of memory verses waiting their turn.

The other thing I added is a couple of large copies of the verse.  I hang one on the bulletin board in the school room and one where it is visible from the dining table.  Originally, I had some in different areas of the house, but we found the only ones we looked at were in the school room and in the dining room.  So, during school, we review the current verses. The readers can easily read the verse until they have it memorized.  Then, they recite the verse. The non-readers are prompted by a reader, so they can memorize the verses. Then, I review the past verses from my card file.  At meal times, the whole family reviews the memory verses. 

This system has been working great for us. I’m so happy to find a system that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment