Monday, May 19, 2014

Musings of a MOMYS

I've been a part of the MOMYS (Mothers of Many Young Siblings) email list for many years now. Having a large family isn't easy in this society and it's not popular. Quite often when a MOMYS vents about how tired she is or how overwhelmed she is, all she gets is a reminder that she chose to have a large family and she should deal with it, but, that doesn't make her any less tired or overwhelmed. And, being tired or overwhelmed doesn't mean she loved her family any less or wishes she could change it . It's just a reality of mothering a big family.Sometimes all she needs is a listening ear or a tip on how to handle the day to day life of a large household.  The support I have received form this group over the years has been my lifeline so many times. A new MOMYS cookbook is being published and I was asked to contribute a little something the cookbook. Here is what I wrote:


Children teach us so much. When I had my first child, I began to better understand how incredibly much God loves me. I know He loves me infinitely more than I love my kids. But, to love my own child is a love I can’t express. It must be experienced to be understood.

I’ve been a mommy for a long time - twenty-three years, actually. I’ve been pregnant for 6 years of my life. I’ve nursed babies for 16 years of my life. I’ve homeschooled for 19 years and I have 12 to go. I’ve spent over 100 hours in labor and rejoiced as I brought each child into the world. I’ve kissed boo boos, held sick kids through the night, danced in the rain, searched frantically for a pacifier, laughed, cried, spent time in urgent care, celebrated over 100 birthdays, sniffed newborns, played hide and seek with a little person in plain sight, been thrown up on, pushed kids on swings, taught kids to read, felt like a failure, watched their face light up when they really understand 1s, 10s and 100s, graduated young adults from high school, responded innumerable times to “Mommy, watch me!”, been hugged by chubby toddler arms, wondered if I’m teaching them enough, walked and bounced countless hours trying to make baby happy, rejoiced with a child when they accomplished something new, forgotten to pack diapers in the diaper bag, leaked breastmilk all over my shirt for months on end, enjoyed a newborn cry, endured a newborn cry, delighted in baby laughter, taught kids not to whine, peed with an audience, showered with an audience, tickled tiny knees, played one too many rounds of Candyland, had my lap filled with kids of all ages and sizes, been discouraged, been encouraged, been drained and been rejuvenated, all because I am filled with an inexplicable love for these people who started out doing nothing more than eating, sleeping, crying and pooping and are in the process of growing up - each into a unique creation, each one so different and each one so awesome.

All those experiences and so much more, the good and the bad, have taught me numerous lessons and made me the person I am today. Being a mommy is hard work. It requires a constant giving of yourself. I’ve found that I wished I balanced just a little bit more of taking care of me, mostly because I’m overweight and out of shape…and I wish I’d spent a few more hours scrapbooking. And, I think a little more hubby and me time would have been good. But, that’s about it. I don’t wish I’d spent more time mopping the floor or drilling math facts or diagramming sentences or going shopping or going out with my friends or dusting the furniture or running the kids to endless activities. I do wish I’d spent more time enjoying the moment, because, those moments are fleeting.

I am thankful for all the minutes, hours, days and weeks I’ve had with these children. And, I am thankful for the support and sacrifice of my husband, Jim. He works hard to support us so I can stay home with the kids and we can have the freedom to homeschool. Mostly, I am thankful that God blessed me with the knowledge of Him and has allowed me to share His eternal values with my family, my heritage.


Missi – MOMYS to 7, plus 5 bonus kids

2 comments:

  1. You're never a failure mijita. Always a good wife and mother <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missi--you make what you do look so easy!

      Delete