Thursday, December 29, 2011

Kitchen Remodel

It began unexpectedly.  I decided that the crumbling grout in my kitchen counter was unacceptable.  I couldn't tolerate it any longer.  So, I decided to regrout.  But, the day Jim and I decided to start the process, he couldn't tolerate the poor job done on the tile in the first place. He didn't want to put the time into regrouting a counter that wasn't tiled right in the first place.





So, we discussed a new counter.  When we had a quote done, I didn't want to invest that much in a kitchen that I didn't really like.  I figured if I put that much money into it, I would feel bad changing it in the future.  It's always been a little small and doesn't have a real working counter.  The cupboards are pretty, but there aren't quite enough of them.

I cook ... a lot.  We make food from scratch daily and need some working space in the kitchen.  So, we thought of how we could expand the kitchen and still keep the old cabinets.  We did lots of research on counter tops, design, materials, cabinets, sinks, faucets, etc.  And, a dream kitchen started to formulate!

And then, the construction began. Well, technically, the destruction was first ...

Day 1


Start it off easy. I moved the coffee/tea counter to its new location.


Jim and the kids knocked the edge off the existing counter so we could have cabinets (that we ordered last week) installed.





Day 2


We had the new cabinets installed.  These will hold all of my baking tools and supplies and the top of this will be my working counter - 6.5 feet of working counter! So exciting!


This new space will be a slide-out trash can holder.  And this counter will be extended some, as well.  Oh, and I now have dividers in my tall cabinet. Yay!



Day 3


Busy day today.  Counters and backsplash were removed - this includes the sink and cooktop, which basically makes the kitchen non-functional. *gulp* (Take a deep breath, it won't be for long.)  New plywood was put on and the granite guys made a template for our new counter tops.  


That's it for today. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy and excited for you Missi!! Keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete