Monday, February 13, 2012

Passover is Coming!



I came to the realization this week that we have less than 2 months until Passover.  What an exciting thought!  When Sukkot was over, the 6 months before Passover seemed like it would take forever. But, we’re already down to 2 months and I know we have lots of preparations for our appointed time with the Creator of the Universe. How awesome is it that He wants to meet with us?! I wouldn't think of missing an appointment He has marked on his calendar to spend time with me. (Lev 23:4-5)  So, the preparations begin. 

Spiritually – I have so much to think about.  It has been a difficult year spiritually and emotionally.  I have spent many hours wondering if I am living out what God has given me in a way that glorifies Him.  The end of our family letter from 2011 says it well:

“I pray that God gives us the strength to endure the trials ahead, the wisdom to guide the children he has blessed us with, the peace to know that He is in control and the comfort we need when we feel like we’re out of control. And, most of all, I pray that He is glorified by the life we live as we follow Him with all our heart, with all our soul, with all our mind and with all our strength.”

But, that hasn’t been an easy thing this year.  Sometimes, it’s very clear how we should live to glorify Him.  And sometimes it takes much prayer and listening to God.  There were weeks on end when the only way I could stay sane was to spend hours in the Bible each day.  And, when I see how much I have had to lean on Him, I see why trials strengthen us.  I only pray that I am glorifying Him through it all and I will glorify Him in the future.

Physically – Time to clean up the house. Just like we clean up our spiritual house, we need to clean our physical house.  I no longer spend hours on end scrubbing and cleaning, because I don’t like the physical cleaning to overshadow the spiritual cleaning. But, I do prepare in advance to start running out of leavening and leavened items.  As I start to think about that, I don’t want to buy cases of anything leavened that we don’t use often.  

Two weeks or so before Passover I pull our leavened products out of the pantry and put them in a crate so we can make sure to eat them. And, I make note of the leavened items in the refrigerator and freezer so we can remember to eat them, and also if they haven’t been eaten, we don't forget to throw them away when the busy-ness of the day arrives. A couple of days before Passover, we will start sweeping the house thoroughly.  The day of Passover, we will get rid of any leavening/leavened products that we still have.

I need to start thinking about when we will start the 10 Plague Adventure (Click on the label “Passover” on the list on the right, if you’re interested in that.) because that is actually next month. Fun, fun!  And, of course, we need to think about our Passover service and the delicious meal to follow! Can’t wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment