Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Making Progress on the Garden

So, we're finally making some good progress on the garden.  Jim got rid of the pile of junk that has been sitting in the remainder of our garden space.  I can't believe he cleared all that stuff out -relocated it, smashed it, cut it, whatever it took to get it into 20 garbage bags scheduled for a "bulky item pick-up" by our trash company.  



Then, on Monday, we had topsoil and compost delivered.  Two yards of each.  Took up a nice large spot in our driveway.  Wouldn't you know we would have it delivered on a record breaking 100 degree day.  I had no desire to haul dirt from the driveway to the back yard.  But the younger kids and I got to work in the evening when it cooled down some.



The kids are such good helpers.  Jim was brilliant enough to buy a dump wagon.  It's pretty cool.  We fill it up and pull it to the backyard like a wagon.  (No accidentally spilling a wheel barrow.)  We push it right up to the bed and lift and it pours all the dirt right into the raised bed.  Perfect!  And, he bought a kid-sized shovel.  So, they all want to take turns using it and filling the wagon.  



Today, after Bible study, I came home and finished one bed completely.  Yay!  I'm excited.  Now I have to start up some more seedlings.  My first batch didn't do very well.  I only have 3 or 4 plants that might make it.  I didn't want to start again til I knew I had someplace to plant them.  So, I'll have to do that in the next few days.  And we'll finish up more of the beds.


1 comment:

  1. 100 degrees, yowee! Looks like you got a lot done - keep us updated on the garden, I am interested!

    ReplyDelete