Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Plague 8 - Locusts

Have you ever tried looking for plastic locusts?  I'll even settle for just grasshoppers.  I can find some big, ugly plastic grasshoppers.  Only problem is, I can only find them one or two at a time.  If I'm going to make a plague of locusts, there has to be lots of them.  

I have tried several things to represent this plague over the years.  I have tried cutting out brown construction paper ovals to represent locusts.  I have used plastic cockroaches (yes, I actually found those in large batches.  Yuck!).  Last year I used some plastic buggy creatures that looked nothing like locusts.  Of course, they looked nothing like any other bug, either, so they were an alright stand in.  

This year I found some plastic buggy creatures that look a little more like locusts.  Of course, the other half of the bag looked like brightly colored cockroaches, but I used them all nonetheless.  I have spread them all over the great room.  Maybe I'll go put out a couple of lettuce leaves just for the effect of eating the greenery :)  Than again, maybe I won't.  I must be getting tired because I didn't even put them in the drawers or the food.  I just threw them all over the floors and the table.  That's 8 plagues down and two more to go.



And tonight I threw away all the leavening I didn't figure we would eat before Thursday.  The trash truck comes tomorrow so I figure I might as well get rid of it now if we're not going to eat it.  We're down to 1 1/2 loaves of bread (easily disposed of in grilled cheese sandwiches tomorrow night) and various cookies.  Yes, Passover is quickly approaching.  HalleluYah!

2 comments:

  1. It lookes like you are really having fun learning about the plagues. I looked on Oriental Trading Company's site and did a search for bugs and found two sets that might help with your locust. One is called small bugs. You get 4 dozen for $4.99 and it looks like several of them could substitute for locust. There is also the 96 Just Buggy Bugs for $11.99. It includes 12 butterflies, 12 ladybugs, 24 spiders and 48 other insects. 1" - 2" There are definatley some flies, beetles and grasshoppers in the assortment.

    While there I also saw that they have a couple assortments of sticky frogs that will stick to walls, cabinets, windows, etc, if you wanted to add to your frog collection.

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. E-bay has plenty of plastic grasshoppers. I just started searching for locusts myself and finally decided to go there and found different sizes. I decided that was my best choice for that plague. Using pingpong balls for hail. Since it's close to Halloween, I figure I can find some good looking boils. Haven't checked yet, don't know how expensive, but going to check.

    ReplyDelete