Saturday, April 4, 2009

Worms, Our Newest Project

We got ourselves a worm composting kit.  We're setting up the garden.  Jim made a custom composting barrel.  But when I saw the worm composting kit, my homeschool antennae went up and I just couldn't resist.  So we set it up a couple of days ago.

We started with 1000 red worms.  I'm not sure how they know there are 1000.  Maybe they make them count off.  Maybe they make them sign in before they crawl into the jar.  Maybe they just take a guess.



First we lined the bin with newspaper.



Then we added the peat moss mixture.



And the wet, shredded paper on top of that.



And then we added the worms.





Then Jim and Lucas decided to have a snack :)





When we had it all set up, Jim was asking the kids what we should name the worms.  Elijah said, “We call the mommy worms Mrs. Worm and we call the daddy worms … Grandpa.”

1 comment:

  1. Ew! I am totally grossed out by that picture! I am sure that worms are not kosher!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete